SMC is proud to offer a variety of scholarships to deserving students in our area. Here’s a listing of some of the special programs we offer. To learn more or to apply, please download the PDFs associated with each scholarship description.
- Apartment and Office Building Association (AOBA) Scholarship – This program offers graduates of Prince George’s County Schools two years’ of paid tuition to Prince George’s Community College. Through the $6,000 scholarship, students earn a two-year associate’s degree and have the opportunity to apply to the Southern Management Scholarship for Study at American University.
- Southern Management Scholarship for Study at American University – Provides financial assistance to deserving business students from Prince George’s County who have been admitted to an undergraduate program at AU’s Kogod School of Business. Scholarships begin at $5,000 per academic year.
- Hillman Leadership Scholarship – An innovative and valuable four-year scholarship program designed for students who have an interest in entrepreneurship or leading a company. The program is tailored to the needs of transfer students who begin their study at PG Community College and complete their bachelor’s degrees at the University of Maryland.
- Rising Star Scholarship – A scholarship available for SMC residents, age 17-24 for an amount up to $1,500. Good toward any accredited university, college, technical or vocational school.
Special Community Programs
Here are just some of the many ways we try to make a difference.
- Mentorship Programs – Employees can mentor local public school students for four hours a week in the county where they work, while still earning their normal compensation.
- Spruce Up Our Schools – Southern Management adopts several schools each year to make cosmetic changes ranging from painting and landscaping to appliance donations and wall murals.
- Summer Basketball League – A mentorship camp experience which inspires young athletes by teaching on and off court discipline and sportsmanship in a competitive environment. The camp tuition is free of charge for SMC residents.
- Junior Achievement – SMC team members teach students a financial-driven curriculum for one hour in the public schools during a five- to ten-week period.
- Teacher Appreciation Week – Teachers throughout Prince George’s County are recognized with special treats provided by SMC.
- Holiday 4 Kids – A resident holiday celebration complete with dancing, singing and gift giving.
- Dictionary Initiative and Spelling Bee – Partnering with the Indian Head Highway Action Council, SMC delivers thousands of dictionaries to third grade students throughout Prince George’s County and co-sponsors an annual Spelling Bee.
- National Night Out – On the first Tuesday in August, several of SMC communities sponsor events to increase the awareness of crime prevention.
- National Walks – SMC is a proud supporter of the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure Walk, the Marine Corps Marathon, the American Heart Association Heart Walk, the March of Dimes and many more.
- Bag 2 School – SMC provides student residents of several communities with new backpacks and grade-appropriate school supplies. To date, we have provided over 50,000 book bags to students from pre-K to 8th grade. SMC is also a proud supporter of the Baltimore and Montgomery County Public Schools’ annual school supply drive.
- Almost Home – Partnering with several elementary and middle schools, the Almost Home program provides after-school homework and tutoring programs in several SMC communities.
- Dress Down 4 A Cause – A quarterly fundraiser encouraging employees to wear casual clothes in exchange for a five-dollar donation to a worthy cause. Thousands of dollars are raised annually for organizations such as the Chesapeake Bay Foundation, Children’s Hospital, Prince George’s County Athletic Department, Catholic Charities, American Red Cross, Out of the Darkness Walk, Fannie Mae’s Hoops 4 the Homeless Basketball Tournament and many more.
- Fair Housing Poster Contest – In an effort to educate K-12 students about the importance of fair housing, SMC hosts a poster contest. From hundreds of entries, a grand-prize winner is chosen and awarded a laptop computer.
- Hoops 4 Kids – An in-house basketball tournament that helps to raise money for our scholarship program.
- Prince George’s County American Red Cross – SMC supports this worthwhile organization with a $10,000 annual donation.
For more information on any of these programs or scholarships, please call us at 703.902.2000 or email us at email@example.com.